I love a simple white dress that’s easy to slip on for any occasion during the summer. It’s a fresh look that can be worn so many ways, it ends up being a smart purchase because it helps utilize other items in your closet to be worn with it. I had a white dress with a flared skirt that I wore for many years and had seen better days, so I decided to get a new one and it’s quite perfect.
After considering many options, including buying and returning this one from Nordstrom (so sheer!), I bought this seersucker one from Gap. The seersucker is more of a very subtle stripe and less of a seersucker texture. It fits great, is fully lined, and has a flattering flared skirt. It’s on sale right now for $29.39 on the website with code “BETTER”. I highly recommend it, especially for that price!
- Look for a dress that is fully lined. You won’t want to wear a slip during the warmer months, nor do you want any undergarments showing. This is your #1 priority, so stay away from anything sheer.
- Consider a “fit and flare” shape. While I love white dresses of all shapes and types (shirt dresses, shift dresses, etc.) I think a fit and flare is flattering on nearly everyone and gives it a fun summer vibe.
- Pick one that’s versatile. My dress can be easily dressed up for a Sunday morning, or dressed down if I’m attending a grad party. It also helps pull from other items in my closet to style it since it’s a neutral.
- Wear a white dress of any type to a wedding, bridal shower, or anything wedding related where you aren’t the bride. No accessory will make it “OK”, just don’t do it.
- Buy linen unless you love to iron. My last white dress was linen and there was a whole process of starching & ironing it to death before wearing it, and then it just wrinkled again.
- Leave the house without a “tide to-go” pen. They are a life saver – I have one in my purse and one in my car and I’ve relied on them many times in emergencies!
Do you have a favorite white dress?