Every time we get to the end of the season, we tend to jump right into the next without fully enjoying the time we are in. This time of year brings new fall arrivals in stores, the desire to wear sweaters and boots, and all things pumpkin-spiced (unless you’re me and you’re more of an apple cider girl). I absolutely enjoy fall, especially since I believe it’s Michigan’s best season, but I’m not done enjoying summer and you shouldn’t be either. Let’s savor every last ounce of summer we have left because we all know winter is way too long. Here are five reasons to soak up the rest of August:
1. Sunflowers: Nothing says “last hooray of summer” like a bouquet of sunflowers. Whether you find a patch of them, or find them at the supermarket, they are in season and readily available. They last awhile as well as liven up your home.
2. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: We are currently in prime fruit and veggie season and I love going to a local stand and buying them right from the farmer. It’s less expensive than buying them at the grocery store, they’re fresher, and you support local businesses. I’ve recently been making these zucchini pizza bites and they are easy and turn out great. My only advice: it’s easy to go crazy, but try to buy only what you know you’re gonna eat so you don’t have to throw out too much waste.
3. Water: If you’re lucky enough to live by lakes, you’ll notice the water is warmer. It’s a lot nicer swimming and spending time by the lake now that the water has finally warmed up. I’m looking forward to Labor Day when I’ll be able to take advantage of warm lakes.
4. Extra Weekends: There are five weekends in August, and we have three left. Instead of dreaming for fall, make the most of them and cross off anything you haven’t done on your summer bucket list. Enjoy time outdoors, read in your backyard, and take advantage of the extra daylight. S’mores taste better in the summer over a bonfire anyway.
5. Anticipation of Fall: While enjoying every last second of summer, sometimes it’s more fun to anticipate a season than when you are in the middle of one. Knowing that there will be changes coming soon in weather, clothes, and even food (chicken chili in my slow cooker…) are enough to put you in a good mood due to excitement.
Style Advice for the Rest of August:
As the end of each season approaches, I take a quick look over my closet and decide which items I love but didn’t wear as much as I wanted to, or even at all. It’s easy to get into the routine of wearing the same outfits, so making a list (categorized by item type, such as dresses, shoes, etc.) and list a few pieces I want to wear encourages me to make the most of my wardrobe.
This practice will help you:
- Get out of a style rut that’s easy to fall into at the end of a season.
- Wear the pieces you love but may have overlooked.
- Bring out your creative side in wearing items in new and different combinations.
Once I change over into fall clothes, I don’t see many of my warm weather items til late spring. Winter is extremely long, so I want to take advantage of wearing all things white, bright, and in summer fabrics such as seersucker or madras before I have to say goodbye for a good 8 months.
How do you enjoy the last part of summer? Do you transition quickly into fall, or try to wear summer clothes as long as possible?