It’s been a tiny bit milder in Michigan this week and we’ve had a tons of rain that has washed all the snow away. Naturally, I’m thinking spring and have my eye on adding a new rain jacket to my spring coat collection. I have a very old, lightweight yellow coat, but it doesn’t have a hood, the fit is a little tight for layering, and the color is more of a darker “fall” yellow. I’ve decided it’s time to get what I really want! I’ve narrowed it down but could use a little help deciding. Here’s what I’m working with for my decision:
- I’ve always wanted a classic yellow rain jacket, but my only hesitation is that my husband Joe owns a yellow rain jacket that he really loves. Anytime it rains even a tiny bit, he’s wearing it. It may seem trivial, but do I really want to be matching my husband in bright yellow rain coats? It’s one thing to both being wearing navy or black, but imagine a Caucasian, blonde married couple walking around in bright yellow coats – we would be snap chatted by strangers for sure!
- Secondly on the yellow color – I see it often on models with darker hair and it’s a lovely contrast. I’m worried the yellow might wash me out a little bit or just not look as good on me with having lighter hair.
- I prefer toggle hooks, specifically a lighter color rope. I love the way they look and the nautical style they add to a jacket.
- A hood is a must-have, and I love that each jacket below has a contrasting hood.
- The footwear I’d most likely be wearing would be red Hunter boots, dark green rain boots, or duck boots.
- The Long Seafolly Jacket by Seasalt Cornwall (a UK brand), has many of the things I’m looking for: great shade of yellow, really nice toggle closures, contrasting hood. I kind of like that it’s on the longer side since most of my other spring jackets aren’t like that. The downside is because it’s shipped from the UK, I may have a harder time figuring out my size and then it’s a risk of whether or not it will fit. It’s a bigger pain to return it if I don’t like it in real life.
- The Classic Raincoat by Land’s End is really cute with the stripes and the inside lining is a cheery yellow. I like the look and length on it, but I’m afraid it will make it a little harder to find something to wear with it. I wear stripes a lot and with this jacket there would be a whole lot of stripes! I don’t like having to think twice about grabbing a jacket and I may do that with this one because of the pattern. The stripes would look good next to Joe’s yellow rain coat though! 😉
- The Coast Waterproof Jacket by Joules is the only option that doesn’t have toggle closures on the front, but it seems pretty heavy duty for the rainiest of weather. The hood is really cute, so I can assume the whole thing is lined in the navy stripes. It says the fit is boxy, but that’s fine since I’m not looking for a really fitted jacket for rain. This may be my least favorite option, but when I look at the other photos online of it, it’s growing on me. They don’t have my size right now, but it seems to be a product that is around year round and gets restocked often.
- The Whitby Waterproof Jacket by Boden is the front runner in mind, but I still have some hesitation. If you click through the link and look at the other images, the material seems off, like it’s extra wrinkly (is it just me?). I love the toggles but not sure if I’m a fan of the sideways triangle that holds them. One reviewer said the yellow was more of a dull, mustard yellow, which might be fine by me but I think I would like a more cheerful shade if I’m being picky. This one always stuck out to me because it checks the most boxes of what I’m looking for.
- The Whitby Waterproof Jacket by Boden again, but in this cute, blue gingham pattern. It looks amazing, and while I have the same reservations as the yellow version, I still am attracted to it. Again, it may give me less options for what to wear since I probably wouldn’t wear gingham or smaller stripes underneath it, but it would look fine next to Joe’s yellow coat. 😉 It’s more of a statement piece, so I can still see myself wanting a yellow coat even if I got this one.
What are your thoughts? Please let me know what you would choose if you were me below in the comments – THANK YOU! 🙂