The very best way to take care of your sweaters is to keep them folded, however, depending on your closet and drawer space situation this may prove to be difficult at times. I keep many of my sweaters folded, but I like hanging some of them up for the sheer purpose of being able to see them all at once (and not forget to wear one).
Some sweaters are more delicate than others, and it’s no fun to have the little dents that hangers leave on the shoulders of a sweater. I am going to share with you a trick that my mom taught me to “safely” hang up your sweaters.
1. Start with the sweater flat on a surface.
2. Fold the sweater from sleeve to sleeves, directly in half symmetrically.
3. Flip it around so that it looks like the letter V.
4. Place your hanger directly on top with the hook at the center of the V.
5. One half goes over the hanger.
6. Other half goes over the first half.
You are ready to hang up your sweater. Does it look funny? Yep! But your shoulders won’t look funny when you put it on.
If you do happen to have sweaters with previous hanger marks on the shoulders, take a damp cloth of warm water and rub the dents, blow dry, rub, blow dry, etc. until the sweater fibers tighten up.