As I turn 28 last week, I can actually look back at some pieces that I bought when I was 18 and still wear today. Some are shirts, sweaters, a pair of shoes, etc., but I’m sort of proud in a way that I made a good choice back then in both style and quality and can still enjoy these items over the years.
Here are five fall staples you can own for decades because they won’t go out of style and with a little care should last.
1. Quilted Riding Jackets are the first item that comes to mind. I have owned one since 2009 and I still wear it today – in fact I wore it last week. I’ve added a few more colors to my collection, but they are something I have already been wearing for 9 years and am confident I’ll wear for years to come.
2. Riding Boots are another item I’ve owned for almost a decade, as I remember receiving them years ago from my mom for my birthday. They are real leather, and with a little bit of TLC each year, they have held up wonderful. Leather riding boots will never ever go out of style. They’ve been around for centuries and aren’t going anywhere. Overall, they’re a sound investment.
3. Your favorite jeans are a personal decision, but I’ve always found it cool to find someone who has an old pair of jeans that still fit. I have one pair of Ralph Lauren ones that are my go-to, but I think Levi’s would wear well over time. I would go for a slim fit medium wash with no holes for a style that will age well over time.
4. A Neutral Watch is a must in the accessories department. Whether it’s a leather or a metal strap, I always think neutral tones are a necessity for at least one watch in your closet. It’s something you’ll wear year after year and your children will want to wear someday. Again, go as classic as possible, nothing too large or small.
5. Cream Fisherman Sweaters are another timeless piece in any wardrobe. I like them slightly oversized and highly recommend the one from L.L. Bean. I have had it for a few years, and I’m always impressed with the quality. This is an item I’d love to pass down someday!
Do you own any of these staples? What would you consider a fall staple you’ll own for decades?
BiancaSeptember 25, 2018 at 8:36 am (5 years ago)
I completely agree with every item on this list! I have had my leather riding boots for 7 years and just now need to get them re-soled. Such a great investment and I think as the pieces age, they get even better!
ToriSeptember 26, 2018 at 12:50 am (5 years ago)
I agree with everything you stated! I would add Hunter Wellies and L.L. bean boots, plus a Barbour jacket! Love you items.
thedressdecodedOctober 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm (4 years ago)
that’s a great idea, those are all items that would definitely be included in staples you’d own for decades!